Thursday, August 21, 2008

Objectives, Methods, Results, & Conclusion

Blame my background as a Medical Writer for the title of this post. I've started a blog, and the scientific part of my mind refuses to push forward without a clear outline of reason and intent. This is often how I try to make sense of life; I live and breathe outlines. Call me a nerd if you will, but when you're trying to sort through mounds of data on hospital-associated diarrhea (I'll give you a moment to let the glamour of my job sink in), outlines will always bring order to the chaos that is Clostridium difficile infection.
Okay, first off: Objective. What is the objective of this blog? Well, quite frankly, it beats the hell out of me. Gaining readers would be nice. Gaining so many readers that a publishing company offers me a deal would be even better, but let's not kid ourselves; writers like me are a dime a dozen. I'm probably hotter than most of them (I KID), but looks do you no good in the vast anonyminity of the internet. So I'll settle for some readers with the hopes that regular contributions to this blog will train me in the discipline of creative writing for any future attempts at publication.

Methods. Riiigghhhtt. Uh, writing? Writing regularly? Writing brilliantly? I know most blogs have a purpose or subject of interest. I have none. Well, no, I'm sure I have a purpose and many subjects interest me, but considering the maniacal ramblings of my Objective, I'm hesitant to push this blog in one direction or another. For now, I'll just write what feels right, and maybe the subject of my blog will find me. Or maybe this blog will be used in future case studies of early-onset alzheimers and dementia. Who knows?

Results: I'm anticipating results to range somewhere between blog abandonment and world-wide fame (or notoriety). That gives me a pretty big target, which is great, because I'm a terrible shot at most things in life. It's okay - I've accepted it.

Conclusions: Well, so much for my clear outline of reason and intent. Apparently my objectives are selfish, my methods are poorly planned, and I'll settle for just about any result short of utter failure. I believe my application of science to the world of blog outlining is a complete disaster. But no matter. I'll press on with this experiment and see where it takes me. Fame and fortune? Book deals and interviews? More likely a slight sense of accomplishment and an hour killed at work, but no matter. I'm a writer. It's what I do.








2 comments:

w4v said...

I see we have similar aims - to gain readers, to make them read and discuss our posts. I think you will do great. By the way, congrats! You just got yourself a reader. Hm... I'm curious, what will you write about?

Anyway, click here and check out my blog. And, yes, you were right, it has a purpose. But I think I'm doing something good, something positive... and I hope you'd agree. Any sort of comments, suggestions and/or critics are desirable.

Later...

Martha & Dani said...

Seems to me that collecting readers will come with exemplary topics, and who can choose better than hospital-acquired diarrhea as a first shot? I mean REALLY. So pick well, my friend, and pick as often as your nose. I look forward to checking in and learning a little more Lilli-Putian.