Monday, November 3, 2008

Hold on to your socks (or should I say running sneakers)...

The unbelieveable has just happened. Picture something akin to this:


or this:or this:

Okay, here it comes:


Ladies and Gentlemen, I am now a runner. Yes, you heard me right. A runner.


Now, I'm pretty sure this is the one of the signs of the comming of the apocalypse, but wouldn't you know it, God, or Allah or Buddah or whoever decided that they would bestow their blessings on me in the form of increased lung capacity and a pair of legs that can go...well...a hell of a lot farther than I ever thought possible.
This weekend I broke not one, but TWO of my personal running records. On Friday I went to the gym and ran 3 miles in 32 minutes (on a 2% incline, no less). I was thrilled. Never ran 3 miles continuously in my life. Celebrations ensued. Then on Saturday, I ran about 4 miles completely non-stop, in roughly 45 minutes. Ho-Lee-CRAP! I know that's no world record, but in my book, I just did something akin to surviving a fall off the Empire State Building; completely F-ing impossible!


I think things changed when I saw the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC last weekend. I'd never seen an actual marathon in person before, and I was so moved by the throngs lining the streets, cheering on complete strangers who were undertaking unbelieveable hardships for a greater cause. I know, It's sappy, but it was really amazing. Go watch a marathon and you'll know what I'm talking about. Here are some pics of it - it was very cool:







Anyway, in honor of my being able to run more than 50 feet without dying, I am planning on running the 27th Annual Haddonfield 5k Road Race this weekend. My first 5k ever. Freaking cool!
And this is only the start. I'll be running several 5k's this winter, with the goal of running a 10k this spring. If I can do that...well...the next stop is a marathon, baby. With a little luck (and an oxygen tank), next October I'll be participating in that very marathon that inspired me to actually give a rat's ass and believe in myself in the first place. If anyone out there wants to run with me, the more the merrier! Come train with me (and Brian - he's game too) and we'll be awesome marathon runners!

Redefining yourself is always cool, and I, for one, am really looking forward to this challenge. See you at the 26th mile marker!


P.S. Mad props to Brian - I wouldn't have even TRIED to run so far without his support and encouragement. He's awesome:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow-wee!!! Look at you go. Mad props!