Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lessons Learned During A Blizzard

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic region, you might have noticed a little bit of snow outside your window today.

I certainly did.

Not that I'm complaining.
If it's going to be winter, Mother Nature might as well throw down and snow like a muh-fuckah instead of handing out that sleety crap that we usually get in NJ (complete with irate NJ drivers who igonore said sleety crap and drive 90 mph to get to work on time).

But on the downside, not only do NJ firefighters NOT get snowdays...they actually have to work overtime, which would explain why I haven't seen the hubs since 6:00 this morning and won't seem him until late tomorrow night.

Oh baby, it's cold outside.

Luckily, this pity party, like ANY good pity party, comes with a glass (or four) of merlot, and I am indeed in rare form tonight.

So let's commence with the bulleted lists, shall we?

Allow me to present to you, Lessons Learned During A Blizzard:


1. I don't care what kind of snowblower you have; I win.

It's true. Go ahead - tell me what kind of big mamba-jamba snowblower you have. Talk to me about your RPMs. Brag about your diesel engine. I will raise my eyebrows in feigned defeat, until I throw down the hand that always...ALWAYS...wins the pot:
We clear our driveway with a front-end loader.
Of course, I mean "we" in the Editorial sense, as it is actually my awesome neighbor who owns and operates the front-end loader. But still - I win. And that's all that counts.


2. Sometimes it pays to be a hominid.

When I let the dogs out this afternoon to do their business, Jericho (the good dog) gave me a look that could only be interpreted as, "are you seriously going to make me squat in this shit?"
And the answer was yes.
Yes, Jericho, you have to literally jam your asshole into the snow to go to the bathroom.
Because you are a dog.
And most of the time, being a dog rocks.
But not today.
Because today? You have to try to do your business in 3 feet of snow.
Godspeed, my friend. Godspeed.

3. Electricity is vital.

This one seems obvious. But being spared every regional black-out that has hit this area for the past two years, I'll admit I'm a bit cavalier with our electricity...
...until the power went bloop for half a second, and I suddenly realized that if the power goes out I would no longer be able to 1) watch TV 2) go online 3) do the laundry, or 4) flush the toilet. And then suddenly, I thought back to snickering at Jericho for having to poop in the snow and let me tell you...things got very real for a second or two.

4. I didn't get married to kill my own spiders

Brian kills the spiders in this house. End of story. So when one crawled across the kitchen floor (much to my cats' delight an my intense horror), needless to say...we had a problem. Oh sure; when I'm backpacking and sleeping in a tent and cooking my food over a portable stove, I can pretty much pull a daddy longlegs out of my pasta and keep on eating.
Because I'm in THEIR house, and I totally get that.
But in my house?
MY HOUSE?!?!
I will kill you.
Or...my husband will kill you....if he's home.
If I'm home? I'll scream like a girl and try to sic all 4 animals on you before giving up and squemishly stomping on you (with much squealing and general carrying on).
Hey, I don't make the rules here - I just follow 'em.

5. When left to my own devices, there's no telling what might happen.

Today, I did 4 loads of laundry.
I also painted half a painting - a thing which I haven't done since highschool.
And then I ate 2 packs of Tasty Kakes, cleaned the bedroom, shoveled the front walk, and baked cornbread while imbibing on the better half of a bottle of wine.
What I'm trying to say here is, there's no telling what I might do when left alone for 36+ hours. Tomorrow might be Yoga and reorganizing the kitchen.
Or it might be interpretive dance, snow-sculpture, and de-clogging the bathroom drains.
The fact of the matter is I have no idea why I do what I do; science has yet to come up with an explanation.

6. Just in case you were worried - never fear - Milo is still barking for no G-D reason.

No explanation required. He's still an asshole.

11 comments:

Leah Rubin said...

Yeah, in my next life I want to come back as my sister's dog. What a life.

As for the spiders, read Rose Is Rose in today's (and yesterday's) comics. If you don't have it, check it out online-- you'll enjoy it!

Enough snow already-- can't they redirect it to Vancouver where they actually NEED it???

Elise said...

Deep snow is definitely a nightmare for the canines. Mine only went out when she couldn't stand it anymore.

Ed said...

Great post.

I feel ya on the spiders thing.

Ever though about giving Milo a little of the Merlot? I bet it would chill him the fuck out.

adrienzgirl said...

For some reason every single time I come and read a post by TheWonderfulFunnyTalentedLily I get all warm and tingly when I read that the consumption of alcohol has commenced and then blogging followed. It's just right.

Like peanut butter and jelly.
or
Peas and carrots.
or
Sunshine and Rainbows.

Just perfection on a page.

June said...

Good post on a half of bottle of wine! I seriously doubt I could pull off such a great post after a couple glasses.

Unknown said...

roflmao...
another thing about the eletricity going out...NO HEAT. Major suckage right there.

and a friend and I were discussin how sucky it has to be to be a dog doing their business out in the snow...lmfao.

Kim said...

Milo stories warm my heart. I don't know why, but there's something so perfectly funny about that dog. Of course, I don't have to live with him.

Poor Rocky didn't know where to go yesterday during the snow. He can't squat quite right because of his knee so he was all confused.

anya said...

#4. The Wallet freaks out more than I do at spiders! We have to train the kids to kill them for us.

Mr. Apron said...

I want to see this half-a-painting.

Show it to me, or I will plop my ass in the snow and shit like a dog.

And e-mail you the pic.

Obsessively. Every day.

kate sweeten said...

I got similar dirty looks from my dog during our Christmas blizzard this year...he would lift his leg to pee and his little doggie weiner would rest nicely on top of the snow drifts. That cannot be comfortable, sir...

Is it sad that I'm pretty convinced that a large reason why my husband married me was so HE wouldn't have to kill spiders anymore..?

Elle said...

In normal circumstances, I hate snow, but actually being able to declare a snowy-work-at-home-day yesterday made me a happy girl. Even if I was strapped to my couch actually working. (Damn guilt.) Anyway, is it really true if the power goes out, you can't flush the toilet?!