Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Potatoes. Again.

There comes a time in every woman's life when she's half way through a bowl of potatoes - just potatoes - for lunch and she suddenly realizes that she either needs to get some damn money or commit to an ascetic lifestyle wherein she chooses to deprive herself of basic human needs.
Like PB&J.
And soap.

I mean, it's not like I'm so poor that I can't afford to eat.
It's more like I'm just poor enough where I can't afford to eat AND buy shampoo.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not hatin' or anything. I've been broke before. I've been college broke where you go to the grocery store and you're all, "I've got $40 in my wallet and need to buy a month's worth of food with enough left over to buy a dime bag."

But the thing is...in college? It was cool. Because everybody was broke, and a "night out" typically included a few hours of pregaming with boxed wine in your dorm before heading out to the local bars to flirt with guys so they would buy you drinks and possibly throw up on you.

But now, being closer to 30 than 20, having had at least one reasonably well-paying job and being well off enough at one point to afford weekend lift-tickets and occasional trips to Wegmans....well....boxed wine and vomit has lost some of it's magic.

Surprising, I know.

My friends? They pretty much still have money (except for a select few of you and HELLO, MY NAME IS LILY AND I'D LIKE TO BECOME THE NEWEST MEMBER OF YOUR CLUB). They're all makin' babies and buying flat-screen TVs and having dinner parties and pretty much doing things that responsible people my age like to do with their money.

And now...I'm finding myself on the the other side of the railroad tracks.
It's gritty over here.
And cold.
And it smells a little like pee.
But here I am, living my life, fighting for my paychecks, learning how to make do with less...and I'm realizing that in many ways? I have a lot more.

It's all about your priorities, yanno?

But the potatoes.
Oh, the potatoes.

My kingdom for an unlimited grocery budget.

So if anybody asks you what the price of freedom is?
I have a hint for you:

It's not death.

It's culinary variety.

13 comments:

phairhead said...

i live underneath the railroad tracks! i get you, girl.

Sally-Sal said...

THIS.

This post made my fucking day.

Laurie said...

And THAT'S why I'm sitting at this desk again today pretending to work.

Steak, biotch's!

Mr. Apron said...

I've been putting off buying lunchmeat for two weeks now. Why? Because I'm utterly uninspired to do it.

Ed said...

Making Babies = Money

Sounds like someone dreams of being a Hooker.

Just sayin'

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I wish you lived near me. Feeding my single broke neigbors is one of my favorite things. We are broke too, but it seems less depressing when we do it together. :)

Hang in there.

Christina Harper said...

I totally laughed my ass off at that picture.

And college=broke=sucks, to me anyway. I miss unemployment though.

anya said...

Lily, even when you are starving, you're funny.

Elle said...

Can you do something with the potatoes? Maybe chop them, toss them with a little olive oil and garlic and bake those suckers in the oven for about 25 minutes. They'd be a little yummier :). In all seriousness, though, I see where you're coming from. I'm grappling with the idea of looking for a position within a school setting to gain experience for my future career, but then I think of how poor I'll be until getting an actual teaching certificate and THEN finding a job, and I just don't know if I can do it. But that's because I'm weak and scared, and need inspiration like your dream following!! My point is, though the road may now be potato-filled and shampoo-less, it will likely lead you to an unlimited grocery store in the end :).

A Droog said...

I know exactly how you feel- I was once grocery shopping on the amount of money I made as a mime.

Which is not a hell of a lot. I suggest that you go to the dollar store and see what they have for food- it's a surprising selection, in all honesty.

Kim said...

I've had those moments before. Hell, I still have them. And by all accounts I have a responsible job and lifestyle. Sometimes, though, it's just not enough to give you variety.

jillian mary said...

Well, I had just rice for lunch today.

Emily said...

Ah, welcome to our side. Here is your garbage can in which to make a fire. We welcome you, and have a lot of free time-but not so many things to eat, as you've noticed.

Ironically, the security word here is "ovenzin."

And they say computers have no real intelligence...