Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Out with the Old and In with the New


If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: that man sure knows how to give a speech!


What a proud day to be an American! Although I was kicking myself for not having the foresight to finegal a way to attend the inauguration in person, I was more than thrilled to be able to watch history in the making via a live stream of it from my (significantly warmer) office. It was an amazing event, to be sure. I don't know what was more impressive: the surging croud of more than 2 million people who showed up to celebrate what is hopefully a major turning-point in the history of America, or the moving performances by musical giants like Aretha Franklin and Yo Yo Ma. (I don't care if her hat DID look like a ginormous Christmas present mounted saucily to one side of her head, Aretha Franklin still is and will always be the Queen of Soul). I couldn't think of a performance more fitting to welcome in our new leader.


And then President Obama (oh man, it feels good to write that) spoke. And what a speech it was! Never have I been more hopful for the future of this country. Never have I been so prouud to be an American. I lok at this man - this African American man that MY COUNTRY actually voted for, and for the first time, I believe we can do the impossible. Of course, I don't expect him to work miracles over night, or even over his first term (Obama 2012!!). But he is sure to be an advocate for change and an ongoing representative of what our country could potentially become. And he couldn't have come at a better time.


Mr. President, I think I speak for the vast majority of Americans when I say Welcome to the White House!!! It's been a long, tough journey, but you managed to get there with your dignity, open-mindedness, and intelligence waving like a banner, ushering in a new era of progressiveness, restring hope in all Americans for a better tomorrow. We're all counting on you, and I know you won't let us down.


Rock on, Mr. President. Rock on.

No comments: