Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Trip of a Lifetime

As many of you know (isn’t it cute when I act like people actually read my blog?), Brian has been dangling a mystery birthday/Valentine’s day trip in front of me since August of last year. His original plan was to keep quiet up to the moment we left, even going so far as to pack for me. Luckily, since that time, he’s come to realize that it doesn’t matter HOW well you know your girlfriend, it’s always better that they pack for themselves, lest you forget something important (e.g., contacts, feminine products, razors, pantyhose…the list goes on and on).

Realizing this unfortunate fact of life, he then decided to reveal our destination and itinerary on my birthday, seeing as the trip IS a birthday present and all. And I really have to hand it to him – he ALMOST made it. Almost. I eventually got it out of him last night, after several glasses of wine and a lame attempt at seduction that turned into a wedgie fight (wine is fun).

Apparently, we’re going to Quebec! But that’s just the start of it.

Our first two nights will be spent in one of only two ice hotels in existence, the Hotel de Glace! Freaking incredible!!!! This place boasts an outdoor thermal spa, custom-carved rooms with one-of-a-kind ice artwork (of course, Brian managed to get us a suite, because he’s just that awesome), a restaurant, and even a bar where they serve your drinks in glasses made of ice! At night, you sleep on a bed of ice in a Big-Mamba-Jamba sleeping bag designed to withstand temperatures of -30 degrees F. And get this – during the day, we’ll be dog-sledding. DOG-SLEDDING! Who freaking does that?

After our stay in the ice hotel, we’ll be heading to Quebec to attend the city’s 400th Winter Festival. I’ve heard it’s off the hook. Lots of partying and ice sculptures and canoe races and the like. In between we’ll have a cozy hotel room and several great meals at Quebec’s finest restaurants.

Unbelievable. I’m speechless (well, not really, because I just wrote a blog about it, but you know what I mean).

I’d post pics of the hotel and festival, but the stupid internet filter here at work says that’s a no-no, so maybe tonight when I get home? Aaahh, who am I kidding. I never go on the computer at home. You’ll have to Google it or something.

And now? Well, since the trip is my Valentine ’s Day present, I need to do something for Valentine’s day that will truly express how grateful I am for this awesome guy who manages to put up with my shenanigans. Time to put the ole’ thinking cap on. Suggestions are appreciated…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. You listed pantyhose as an important item not to be forgotten. You feeling ok???

2. That's incredibly spectacular!! I watched a Travel channel special on that place a couple days ago (ish) and it looked SO freaking awesome! Please take lots of pictures. k.thx.bai.

Karen Wade said...

That sounds like such an awesome time! Kudos to Brian for a great idea. My job would be way cooler if our hotel was made of ice and not brick...

Emily said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Jealous!