Friday, January 2, 2009

Starting 2009 Off With A (Cliche) Bang


As a rule, I don’t believe in “New Year’s Resolutions.” Personally, I think that self-improvement should be an ongoing activity, not something to be highlighted once a year and forgotten as soon as that box of Valentine’s Day chocolate rolls around. However, I DO believe that the new year is a great time to reflect on the current status of your body, mind and soul, and make tune-ups where appropriate. The following actions have fallen a bit by the wayside in past months, and I will take this moment to highlight them, with the hopes of re-establishing some habits that are sure to improve my overall well-being.

1. Playing outside, despite the conditions. Although I cringe to write this, I fear I’ve become more of a fair-weather outdoor activist than I’d like to admit. Despite the fact that my tent, sleeping bag, and gear are designated for “3-season” use, the coldest temperature encountered on my most recent backpacking trip was a balmy 65, and yes, I was in the (general) northeast area of the country. Maybe it’s the new fireplace we had inserted, or maybe it’s the lull of a temperpedic bed covered in a down comforter, but whatever the reason, my personal “call of the wild” has been replaced by the “call of all things toasty and warm.” Even the incidence of Drunk Canoeing, a popular pastime at our household, has decreased considerably. Sadness. Luckily, the gifts I received at Christmas included an MP3 player, a plethora of ski-gear and long underwear, and rock climbing shoes and lessons; all items that encourage one to embrace the outdoors on a year-round basis. My desire to get outdoors has suddenly increased tremendously, and for my own health, as well as the health of those around me, I’d better get my butt back where it belongs…on the side of a mountain.

2. Flossing. I know I should floss more. It keeps my teeth cavity-free, makes my gums happy, and takes all of 60 seconds to perform, but for some reason, my little round container of floss is getting dust on it. I guess it’s hard to floss when you’re sleepy, and since I brush my teeth in a constant state of sleepiness (early in the morning or before bed), it sits, collecting dust. This is unacceptable. My gums are sad.







3. Cooking and baking. The act is fraught with peril, and the results are unpredictable at best. So is it any wonder that dinner is more and more consisting of cereal, PB&J, canned soup, and take-out? But like many things in life, irony is that the more you cook and bake, the less perilous and more predictable (and enjoyable) it becomes. So I shall restock my pantry with fresh ingredients from the store and dive anew into the world of controlled heat and chemical reactions with the aim of creating delicious, wholesome, well-balanced meals. An of course, if a few desserts get thrown into the mix (pardon the pun), I suppose I’ll just have to eat those as well. Again, Father Christmas has generously provided me with the tools I need – a brand-spankin-new bread machine. Mmmmmm….fresh warm bread…..*drool

4. Writing that damn book. I keep saying to myself, “as soon as I buy a laptop, I’m going to begin writing my book.” But financing a divorce – especially one that seems to get messier by the day – has left little cash left over for personal, mobile computers. At the rate I’m going, buying a laptop is probably going to make my 2010 list (if I’m lucky). Lest I procrastinate another year, I’m going to have to start writing my book, laptop be damned. I’ve got a laptop at work, and a somewhat functional PC at home, and that’s just going to have to do. And on that note…




5. Getting that damn tattoo. I’ve spent a good 6 months envisioning my tattoo in my head and I’m still pretty happy with it. Sure, I could spend another year contemplating the design and worrying that I’m making a mistake that will haunt me for a lifetime, but that’s not really in the spirit of getting a tattoo, is it? I’m not suggesting drinking six shots of tequila and getting a loony tunes character tattooed on your ass or anything, but I think you eventually reach a point where you have to stop worrying about how you’ll feel 50 years from now and just DO IT ALREADY. Hey, that’s what youth is for, right? But at the advice of Aunt Sarah, I’ll definitely be sure to put it on a place that won’t get “gross and saggy.” And no, it's not the tattoo in the picture (althought that tattoo is pretty bad-ass)

I’m sure there is more I could do to improve my life. I am undoubtedly a “work in progress” and hope to be so until the day I die. But I figure this is a good start. I mean, what could be better than fresh air, healthy food, self-expression, and good oral hygiene? Well, I’m off to start improving myself via the above activities….well, actually, I’m off to continue writing this newsletter on cytomegalovirus. But AFTER THAT, I’m off to improve myself.
2009…GO!

No comments: