Friday, February 13, 2009

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....


I’m well aware that I’ve just had a fabulous vacation and a 12-day break from the office. But dammit, I’m TIRED! Ever since getting back from Tampa, I can’t seem to get enough sleep. My morning routine now includes numerous cups of bad office coffee, and my evenings are beginning to resemble a slow night at the geriatric center.
What gives?
Maybe I’m still recovering from my vacation, although I gotta tell ya, this vacation was pretty restful compared to my previous trips spent backpacking through the rainforest and such. Maybe it’s the lack of exercise, because my gym routine has kind of taken a back seat to vacation and business travel and visits to the court house. Maybe I’m knocked up (KIDDING!). Or maybe it’s as my coworker said (let’s see if I can get this right)… “the realization that my life does not consist of ice hotels and dog-sledding and other fun activities, but instead consists of the monotonous grind of the 9-5 employee.”
I think we have a winner.
Is there anything more depressing than coming back to work after a great vacation? Is there anything more depressing than sitting back down at your desk and thinking “a week ago, I was having the time of my life, and now I’m sitting in my office writing an executive summary of an Advisory Board”? I ask you, is there anything more depressing than realizing that A) you’ve used up half your vacation days for the year, B) it’s only February 13, and C) the next company holiday is almost 4 months away?
I know I should probably just be happy that I have a job in this economic climate, but it’s almost like, when you work a 9 to 5 job, you forget that life can be any other way. You stop thinking about anything but the routine, put your nose to the grindstone, and simply live for the weekends. But when you go on vacation, suddenly, you realize there’s a whole world that’s bustling around while you’re in your office. You get a taste of freedom from commutes and obligations and watching the clock tick by and you suddenly start living. It’s glorious. And then, just like that, it’s gone. You’re back to your routine, only now you’re thinking about that time when you didn’t have to come in to work. It’s almost more cruel to take a vacation and come back than to not take a vacation at all.
Aaah, the irony of it.
At any rate, I’m still tired. Time to get *another* cup of coffee and continue counting down the minutes to 5:00, when I can finally live again (if only for 2 days).
Man, I need a vacation.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Girl, you need to novelist it UP! This is just no way to live life.