Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You Call It Lazy, I Call It Patriotic

So I hear it’s Veterans’ day.

I was reminded of this little bit of trivia this morning, when I woke up and Brian was still in bed. Because Brian is off today, as are most government employees.

Of course, it is difficult to celebrate one’s veterans when one is seething about the fact that she has to get up and go to work when her husband, who already works a meager 4-day-per-week schedule, has yet another free day to do as he pleases.

In his defense, he has to finish moving all of that wood today.
Plus, he made me coffee.

But still…yanno?

And now that I’m at work, I’m finding it even MORE difficult to honor our veterans. And by “honor our veterans,” I mean “read a book and possibly take a nap in front of the fire.”

Because, really, I can’t think of a better way to honor our fallen soldiers than napping.
After all, isn’t that what they fought for?
For the right for us to nap when we please?

And by that logic…

Isn’t my job - by not allowing me to nap – actually violating those very rights for which our brave veterans gave their lives?

So one could argue that by coming to work today, I’m essentially disrespecting every veteran, dead or alive, who fought for this country.

And you know what?
That ain’t right.
Clearly, this company is run by terrorists.

So I’m going home, lest I stay here and continue to disregard our local heroes. Because I’m an AMERICAN, dammit, and these colors don’t run.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m about to go home and change into my jammies.

I think the veterans would want me to.

10 comments:

Ducky said...

I'm working too...damn School District...don't they know what's up? Clearly NOT. We worked Columbus Day too....the only holiday they see fit to give off is MLK day....

Unknown said...

lol. working too.

Travis said...

We should all be so bold.

Sadly, I am not.

Erin said...

Excellent logic, but alas corporations don't seem to give an eff about our patriotic duty.

Mr. Apron said...

Well, he may only work four days a week (P.S.-- What the fuck? I never got a day off for gayass Veteran's Day when I was an EMT...) but he probably does at least 12 or 13-hour shifts, no?

Those things are barely human.

phairhead said...

i ate cupcake w/ minty chips on it in honour of fallen heros whilst purchasing over priced shampoo at The Body Shop

Elise said...

My son's school had the day off, so I had to take the day off. We went to the movies and spent some time together, hopefully so he'll remember that he actually has a mother.

Ed said...

As a government employee and a veteran, I had a pleasant day off.

By pleasant, I mean spent the day getting bitched at by my wife for "not doing anything" and "I hate your days off, I don't know why I look forward to them so much, all you do is lay around all day".

Maybe it's better to work.

P.S. I'm glad to have almost not really died for your right to nap.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been reading for a while, but don't remember if I've commented before. I was feeling really sorry for myself for working today too!

adrienzgirl said...

I spent the day cooking for relatives in town. I have to cook Thanksgiving Dinner twice this year. For a shit load of people. ALL my dad's siblings are here. 3 brother's and 2 sisters, and their spouses. For actual Turkey Day? The Hubs family, 45, possibly more people at my house. WTF? DO I LOOK LIKE FUCKING MARTHA STEWART TO YOU?

At least I can drink on ACTUAL T-Day. Not this weekend at my pre T-Day effin get together.

Just kill me now please.