Friday, November 20, 2009

Funny Is Overrated Anyway

You know how you kind of go through phases? Like, one month you’re all, “Wow, peanut butter and banana is the best combination EVER. What have I been DOING all of my life? Why haven’t I been partaking in this awesome snack on a semi-regular basis?”

And then the next month you’re all “Eeh. I’m over it. But you know what’s kick-ass? Hummus.”

That’s kind of what’s going on with me lately.

Like, last month I was a seriously funny mother fucker, if I do say so myself. Who could forget about the breakdancing post? Or the homage to Shark Week ? (which I just re-read and OMFG I think I was on crack that day. Feel free to click on that link, but don't expect to respect me in the morning)

But ya see what I mean? I was fucking riot.

And this month?
…yeah…not feeling so funny.
I mean, I’ve been trying to be funny, yanno? But I’ve only been moderately successful. This month, I’m the Billy Baldwin of comedic blogging.

And that’s just a shame.

So I figure, why force myself to be funny if I’m just not feeling it? What’s the worst that can happen? Lose a reader? Lose 20 readers?!?
Yikes.
Yeah, that could definitely happen.

But I’d rather write quality blogs of a different variety than write sub-quality blogs of the same nature.

Did that make sense to anyone? Because it barely made sense to me.

Bottom line is, when I start to feel funny again, I’ll start to write funny blogs again. Trust me, It always comes back. I’ll have a crazy weekend and a Dunkin’ Donuts crack-coffee and suddenly I’m fucking Richard Pryor except for the fact that I’m white and don’t really look good with a ‘stache.

(See? That was a little funny. It could be coming back already!)

But until then, I’ll be writing about whatever the hell I end up writing about. Probably all artsy-fartsy-like, on account of the fact that I’m rocking and rolling with this novel I'm trying to write. I’m ALL ABOUT the metaphors lately, so this is likely to get annoying.

My blogs could become a cheese grater raking across your skin.

(Jesus, should I just start apologizing now?)

But in the end, I guess I just need to be true to myself. Will I lose some readers? Probably. But better to lose them because I changed styles rather than because my failed attempts at comedy were just too painful to read.

I mean, being the Billy Baldwin of comedic blogging is one thing, but to be reduced to the Kathy Griffin of comedic blogging?

Well, then I’d just have to shoot myself.

Happy Friday, folks!

12 comments:

Mr. Apron said...

Lily--

You are what you are, and make no apologies for it. If you're trying to be funny, trust me, you won't be.

Your blog should be an accurate representation of who you are and how you're feeling on any particular day.

And if you lose readers because they expect you to be some sort of unending joke-a-minute vending machine?

Fuck them!

Elise said...

I don't read your blog just because I need a few chuckles. I read it because it's you, and you have an interesting life, and you write well, so I wouldn't want you to go all, like, fake on us.

And besides, they can't take away your blog awards, right?

Unknown said...

haha, well, I'd still read, cause I LOVE KATHY GRIFFIN.

Ed said...

I'll still read you.

You're my whore.

Funny or not.

adrienzgirl said...

Oh Lily, Lily, Lily.

I had no idea that you were Ed's whore. Good thing he is getting the 'ol snippity snip next month!

You post whatever the hell moves you K? K! We <3 you no matter what.

Even if you are reduced to the red-headed step child of comedy.

anya said...

I'm not going anywhere. Promise.

Sally-Sal said...

Shark week is definitely worth talking about.

Ducky said...

I don't really feel so bad that you're Ed's whore because really, its not much work from what I hear. I mean, if he ain't go the Vigra its just not happenin....yanno?

As for "Billy Baldwin of comedic blogging is one thing, but to be reduced to the Kathy Griffin of comedic blogging"... I'm really paranoid now... this could be me... I mean really, it could...damn

me said...

now you KNOW funny is NOT overrated!!! LOL

Travis said...

Eh. Who needs funny?

I'd like another snippet of novel, please.

And for the first time in my life, I'm NOT being a smart ass.

Kim said...

Always be true to yourself and your feelings...the followers will follow.


I gave you a Thanksgiving award at my blog...http://perfectlycursedlife.com/?p=1143

prashant said...

Your blog should be an accurate representation of who you are and how you're feeling on any particular day.


Work from home India