Monday, November 30, 2009

The Big Change (No, Not The One With The Hot-Flashes, The Other One)

So, I had a funny post ready to go today.
And then…well…some stuff happened. Some information went around that I wasn’t quite ready to share with the world, but hey, isn’t life just one giant game of Telephone, anyway?

I’ll extrapolate on this in a minute, but first, allow me to refer to this post. It was a seemingly benign and short-lived inspiration. But it was a pivotal post for me, and it marks the day when I decided to take my life by the proverbial horns and try my damndest to make it a happier one.

So today, despite my intention to delay the sharing of certain knowledge with HR until Friday, it would appear that I officially put in my three weeks’ notice.

In other words, I quit this bitch.

HOLY HELL

That’s right folks.
I quit my job.

Because, let’s face it: I wasn’t cut out for the corporate world.
I wasn’t cut out to while away my hours in a cubicle, making small talk with people I hate and attending pointless meetings and trying to be all “Rah, Rah, Go Team” when on the inside, all I wanted to do was stab someone.

And the business-casual dress code?
Fuh-GETTA-bout-it.
This girl was never meant to prance around in a pair of slacks and smart, sensible loafers.
End of story.

So I’m quitting my job to go freelance and try to make some sort of life for myself wherein I can work from home, make my own hours, and spend more time living and less time staring at the clock, which I have been doing since about the moment I graduate from college.

Of course, as with any big life-changing decision, there is potential for failure of epic proportions. And I’m not going to lie, this possibility scares the ever-loving crap out of me. And to make matters worse, not only am I gambling with MY life; now that I’m married, I’m gambling with OUR lives.
Shit.
Somebody hand me a diaper, because I am about to seriously poop my pants.

But what’s that saying about how it’s better to try and fail than live with a bunch of regret? Or is it better to have loved and lost than never loved at all? Or beer before liquor, never been sicker? Hang in there?

I dunno.
Something you read on those posters that show tranquil scenes of waterfalls or a kitten hanging to a branch, with words underneath that are supposed to make me want to go out and achieve shit.

All I know is that, as of December 18th, I’ll no longer be employed.
And this could be either the best or the worst decision of my life.

…well, except for that whole “first marriage” thing, but you know what I’m talking about…

15 comments:

Ducky said...

Hmm, yes well.... dunno what to say. I'd beat my head against the wall if I had to breathe my day away in a cubicle again so BEST OF LUCK!

Mr. Apron said...

Wow.

I just pooped in my sensible slacks.

I'm very, very excited for you.

And very, very jealous.

anya said...

Yay! Not only have you grabbed that bull by the horns, you will wrangle,rope it and make it wish it was never born! Like that ex hubbie. Ha.
I think you're going to love working from home. Slacks -suck. Jammies - rock.
Now I will await the other news...wink wink. Tell that fireman where to put his hose. (OMG. I have zero tact.)

PorkStar said...

Good for you, so you can now read blogs while doing your side thing...

In all seriousness, congrats for having the balls to quit amidst these economic stomach ache and deciding to do what your heart desires...

Enjoy!!!!

PorkStar said...

By the way, that also means more quality time with Mylo....

You sure you are ready for it?

Rachel said...

Congrats Lily! Three years ago I did the same thing. Sometimes you gotta just jump...and have the faith that you will land on your feet just fine.
Good for you!

Erin said...

Congrats! I'm very impressed that you are making such a huge and scary life decision. Best of luck!!

phairhead said...

congrats, pooper!

Ashley said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!1

Elise said...

Huzzah for you! And I'm glad to have had a part in your decision.

carrie @ brick city love said...

Congrats lady-friend! You're going to rock at being your own boss.

adrienzgirl said...

Ya know what Lily, I think you will be much happier. That job was seriously messing with your MOJO!

LUCK!

Ed said...

I thought for sure you were gonna say you are pregnant.

So there.

Now you're cursed with that.



P.S. My verification word is "Labias"

The Trout Underground/Copywriter Underground said...

Hot Damn. I walked out of an ad agency job better than two decades and have freelanced since then.

Now your biggest problem (aside from survival) will be: "Does this t-shirt go with these sweatpants?"

Welcome to the ranks of the chronically underemployed. And unlike so many "writers" clogging the Internet, you're talented - so don't forget to set aside time for the book.

Good luck.

Guillermo said...

Congratulations! I am excited for you. It's sink or swim now.