Friday, December 5, 2008

Peacock vs. Sloth

My coworkers and I were talking about our nametags today.

Wait. I should back up a little bit.

A few months ago, our entire office had this communication workshop (I know, the hippie in me died a little more that day). During this seminar, we were required to fill out a questionnaire in order to be placed into 1 of 4 "animal" groups, based on our personalities. The groups were peacock, dove, turtle, or lion. Strangely, I found myself in the peacock group, even though peacocks are supposed to like flashy things, and I drive a POS Subaru Impreza. But no matter; the quiz said I was a peacock, so I went with it.

The company took things a step further and decided to have everyone's "animal" printed onto their nameplate, as a reminder to others of their personality type. I guess the idea was that when someone went to a coworker's desk to discuss some matter of business, they would see, say, the lion graphic on their nameplate, and moderate their interaction accordingly. Whatev. I appreciate the company's attempt to be slightly less corporate, although I'd much more prefer to un-standardize my signiture and wear jeans than to have a little peacock on my nameplate. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Back to today. A bunch of us, including the graphic design guy, were talking about what kind of animals we really were. My one coworker mentioned how she saw herself as a dragon, which we thought was a strange choice (as she is exceptionally gentile and modest) until she explained that she had heartburn all the time (lol). Well, eventually, I came up in the discussion, and we all sat around trying to figure out what animal I really was.

After much debate, this was the consensus:








Apparently my coworkers see me as a mild-mannered, slow-moving, would-rather-be-sleeping type of person. I guess the sleeping part is right, but in terms of the pleasant demeanor and sluggish movements, I'm not so sure. I'll consider it proof that my ninja skills are well cloaked, as all ninja skills SHOULD be :-)

Anyway, it's always a good thing to have the creative guy on your team; 30 minutes later, my peacock was replaced with the agreeable fellow above. My coworker also got her dragon, which looks totally cool. If I wasn't so committed to hiding my ninja skills from mortals, I might be jealous of her super-cool dragon. But as is the code of the ninja warrier, my reflexes of lighning must be masked from the common man. The sloth will have to do.

So that's me:
Lillian Simmons
Medical Writer
Sloth
Secret Ninja Warrier of Death
MD (well, practically)
Esq (okay that one I made up)

3 comments:

anne said...

there are so few ninja slothes out there, unless they have all managed to keep their skills so well hidden.
personally, i am what ever stitch is form the movie, some experiement bouncing my way through life...as a ninja pirate of course.

Anonymous said...

I Though you gave up the ninja thing....being that you fell down the stairs dressed up like one.

Anonymous said...

Now, did you have to come-up with your own sloth picture or was one provided for you?

~Allison