Wednesday, September 16, 2009

High-Dive Confessions

So, I had this funny post lined up for today.
Something about dumb horses and dumb humans interacting with each other, which is always good for a laugh.

And then my friend Elise sent me a message on Facebook.
(Oh, Elise, you and your stimulating conversation and links to interesting articles. DAMN YOU)

So I’m reading this article.

This woman – she’s a lot like me.
28 years old, stuck in a dead-end rut of a job. And then? She quits and follows her dream to be a therapeutic riding instructor.
Just like that.

And I’m all, “if she can do it, why can’t I?”

The thing is, there are certain things in my life that I can’t just let go of; that I keep coming back to over and over again; that I excel at; and that I want to share with others.

Horseback riding is far and away one of those things.
I can’t get enough of it. And you know what? I’m damn good at it too.

Which makes me start to wonder why I can’t pursue some sort of equine-related business, just like that woman from the article.
What’s really stopping me?

Well, there are a number of barriers, but a big one, that starts with “health” and ends with “insurance,” will be overcome oh, say, October 10th or thereabouts.

Three cheers for government employee health benefits!

And another barrier has the potential to be overcome, thanks to several key industry contacts and a job that only requires a computer with internet access.

And another three cheers for modern technology!
Let's give them both a round of applause, folks...

In other words, in 24 days I will have my husband’s benefits and the ability to work on my own schedule.

In theory, at least.

Which, in theory, frees up a significant amount of time to pursue a business venture of my own, or at least throw myself back into my riding hobby and see where it takes me.

So right now I’m standing on the edge of the high-dive, kind of rocking from one foot to another, staring at the water (waayyyyy down there), and wondering…

“Am I really going to jump?”

And today at least?
I think, deep down, I already know the answer.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

this is fantastic....gooooo you!

i have an award for you at my place. :)

Elise said...

Wow, could I really have inspired you?? What an honor that would be. I will be cheering for you 100%.

Erin said...

Good for you!! Jump girl jump!

phairhead said...

go for it!

anya said...

JUMP!!

As Wayne Gretzky said " You miss %100 of the shots you don't take."

Mr. Apron said...

Fuckin' do it, man. Then I can live vicariously through you.

To really make that possible, after you get all the horse stuff out of your system, would you please join the NYPD for me?

You can request to be assigned to the Mounted Patrol Unit, if you find horseriding is still that important to you.

Hey, thanks. I owe you one.

Emily said...

Yeah, you do!