Monday, May 18, 2009

Not Bad For A Monday

Well, despite the unpleasant basement discovery on Saturday evening, this weekend shaped up to be…uh, not as bad as it could have been?

Allow me to explain.

At first, when I found out that the majority of our basement was underwater because our 5-month-old sump pump punked out like a little b*tch for no GD reason, I was all:


But once I settled down, snarfed some delicious ColdStone’s ice-cream, and got a good night’s sleep, things were looking better for the following reasons:

1. Purchasing a brand new BIG MAMBA-JAMBA sump pump with bells and alarms and a back-up battery system didn’t hurt our pockets quite as much as it could have, thanks to a store credit received by Loews when we stormed in there at 9:00 pm on Saturday night with a still-dripping, broke-ass sump pump and demanded our money back in no uncertain terms.

2. Installation of the new BIG MAMBA-JAMBA sump pump was a breeze (or so I heard. I was upstairs drinking a beer when Brian installed it)

3. For once in our lives, Brian and I had the foresight to keep everything in storage up off the ground after the last flood, so none of it got wet. Foresight is not something easily come by in our household. The planets must have been in alignment that night or something.

4. The carpet tiles that we used on the basement floor are mold- and water-resistant (once again, someone used foresight when purchasing these bad boys. And by someone, I mean Brian). The glue that we used to keep the tiles down is also water-resistant. Finally, the carpet tiles were also extremely cheap, and therefore had almost no pile to them. What does this all mean? Water resistant + mold resistant + almost zero absorption capability = SUCK THAT WATER OUT WITH THE WET-VAC AND CALL IT A DAY.

So, yes, lots to be grateful for. And with minimal work required in the basement, I was able to spend Sunday planting the rest of my flowers, having brunch with friends, and even cleaning up the kitchen a bit. All in all a productive, if only slightly exhausting, weekend was had.

And now it’s Monday.



A bummer, yes, but the good karma is hanging around. First, I managed to get up at 6:15 and go to the gym this morning.

WOOT!

Granted, I’ve been running most evenings (up to 4 miles thankyouverymuch), but running does very little to alleviate floppy arms and flubby tummies. So I’m trying this new routine where I go to the gym in the morning to do weights and strength-training, and run in the evenings after work. A lot of time spent working out, yes, but I absolutely cannot do cardio in the morning. And I don’t have the time to go to the gym PLUS run outside with the dogs and Brian at night (not to mention the fact that the gym is SUPER crowded between 5:00 and 8:00pm). So…this might work, yes?

I’m feeling better about myself already…

ALSO.

Check out this bad boy I have for lunch:

(note the pen at the top, for perspective)


This, ladies and gentleman, is a PB&J made with cherry jelly and chunky peanut-butter on home-made bread that has GOT to weight about 2 lbs (give or take).

If heaven had a sandwich, it would probably look and taste like this. You know it’s true. Don’t deny it.

How can I NOT have a good day if I have a sandwich like this? It’s impossible!

So in recap, I have a manageable basement, an awesome new work-out schedule, and a lunch that’s bringing tears of joy to my eyes.

Not bad for a Monday.

Not bad at all.

No comments: