Monday, July 13, 2009

Status: Philanthropic (and uuggghh)

Let me tell you, Lyme is not all it’s cracked up to be (whatever that means).

The weekend was beautiful and breezy and everything that summer is supposed to be, and I was pretty much stuck in bed with my own personal case of “tick-death.”
I was miserable and icky and OMG SO FREAKING TIRED. Poor Brian was stuck taking care of me again, which means that he’s officially spent more time waiting on me hand and foot this year than probably sleeping and showering combined.

So he totally wins the “trooper of the year” award and a complimentary beej (as soon as I muster up the energy). A small consolation, I’m sure, but beggars can’t be choosers, right? It’s either that, or a “I Took Care Of Lily for Half A Year And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt” T-shirt (written in puffy paint, of course. Remember puffy paint? Hell yeah, ya do!)



So I’m at work today and was anticipating having to leave early after being judo-kicked by my general malaise (are you tired of me using that phrase? Because I’m not). But things seem to be holding at “under the weather” and have not yet declined to “death warmed over,” so I might be able to put in a whole day.

Hooray (note the lack of enthusiasm)

But I wanted to take a minute to describe my latest philanthropic efforts that occurred at approximately 8:25 this morning when I decided to buck the system by getting my morning coffee at a privately-owned café instead of Wawa. For those of you who don’t know, I try my hardest to avoid large commercial conglomerates like the plague. I don’t shop at Wal-Mart, and I haven’t been to a McDonalds, Burger King, or Wendys since November of 2005. I mean, there’s not a lot that I do to combat the economic/environmental/political cluster-fuck that is America, but even I have my standards.

Stop looking so surprised.

So I walk in the café all, supporting small, independent business rocks, and came out of the café all since when does a 12 oz latte cost $3.00?!? Holy god, I know I did a good thing, but I can’t help feeling violated by paying twice as much for a latte that is half the size as the one I would get at my local convenience chain.

So I’ve come to the conclusion that philanthropy is for the rich, and since I am decidedly *not* rich, I should continue to purchase my 20oz caffeine fix for $1.43 at Wawa’s Coffee-Topia station and leave small business support to those who drive around in Beamers and Benzes (as opposed to a dented, tomato-red 2000 Subaru Impreza).

Oh yeah, I’m pimpin.

But even as I write this, I’m feeling a considerable downward shift in my overall sense of health and wellbeing. I believe I've slipped from "under the weather" to "uggghhh" (which is a step above "death warmed over," fyi).

DAMN YOU, LYME!

So I’m off to take a lunchtime siesta in my dented, tomato-red 2000 Subaru Impreza and hope that it’s enough to get me through the rest of the day.


Because lord knows I’d rather save my sick days for when I’m healthy.

8 comments:

**Liz** said...

Stupid lyme diseasea

Anonymous said...

Suck it up girl - you can't use a sick day for actually being sick.

Erin said...

Aww, I'm sorry. I think you're almost done with work by now.
I enjoy the "complimentary beej" line. Good stuff.

Jeanette said...

Sounds like you're having a sucky go of things, how about you take all the rest you need. I grant you permission.

PorkStar said...

well, get better, but as long as the writing doesnt suck, you can remain sick all you want.

Love

*Ball sweat

: )

Wheels said...

I definitely understand the dilemma of support the (expensive) local place vs. go to the (cheap) chain. And now I want coffee. Crap.

Mom2Peach said...

I've got two things to say:

1. R. seriously needs to give us more sick time.

2. I've never known a man to turn down a complimentary "beej," no matter what the circumstances.

Start working, damn doxycycline, I need my officemate back!

Unknown said...

Woah- Lyme's disease? I didn't actually think people even GOT Lyme's disease anymore.... good luck with that. Hope you're back to awesome soon.

Puffy paint- haha, I remember that! I had a t-shirt covered in it!