Friday, July 10, 2009

When Life Gives You Lymes...

…Make limeade.
With a shot of booze….
And a healthy dose of antibiotics (I love mixing pills and alcohol)

Yes, friends, it’s confirmed. I’ve gotz me the Big "L".
Lyme Disease.

Is it sad to say that I’m just relieved that I have a diagnosis?

This morning, I was actually feeling better. I had some pep in my step and I was thinking that whatever virus I had, I had beat it like a red-headed stepchild (no offense to you gingers out there).

Then my Doctor calls to give me the news. And sure enough, about an hour later, I’m feeling like crap on a stick again.

Blah.
Double blah.

Thank god it’s Friday and I have a whole weekend of practically nothing planned. There’s a wine tasting that Brian will be going to tomorrow, but I was going to skip it anyway. And now with the 3 weeks of twice-daily antibiotics that I’ve been prescribed, I think I’ll definitely pass on the tasting, because if college has taught me nothing, it's that booze and doxycycline do not mix.
Nope.
It’s a guarenteed one-way ticket to pukesville for this gal.

Which is unfortunate, because I was supposed to go to a friend’s birthday party on Saturday night at a bowling alley. I can’t bowl because of my gimpy wrist, so the plan was to drink and watch other people bowl.

Now, I’ll just be…uh…watching other people bowl.
And maybe passing out because I feel like such complete crapola.

So we’ll see if my infectious disease ass makes it to the party. And then we’ve got softball on Sunday (I swear, he’s entered the never-ending softball league). Again, we’ll see if I’m up to the task of sitting in my camping chair and clapping/cheering when other people clap/cheer.

Wow, now I’m realizing that this kind of sucks.

But at least it was caught early.
Lyme can do KRAZY shit (yes, krazy with a K) to you when it goes unnoticed for a decade or more. I have a friend whose uncle had Lyme for years and nobody knew about it, and let’s just say that he’s not all there in the mental capacity. No offense meant – he’s an awesome guy (or..er..was, when I last saw him, which was probably about 18 years ago). It’s just sad to see how some tiny little virus can affect the rest of your life when it’s not treated properly.

Thank god for modern medicine and all that jazz…

So I’m all Lymey, but on the road to recovery, thanks to a dose of antibiotics big enough to wipe out the internal microflora of a bull elephant.

I hope everybody has a great weekend. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, so don't forget to get outside and enjoy it. Just look out for those ticks - those bitches apparently don't fuck around.

CHECK YOUR CREVASSAS, people! I cannot stress this enough.

And on that note, Happy Friday!

10 comments:

Jeanette said...

Umm sorry, err congrats! Go with which one goes with how you're feeling when you read this. And have a speedy recovery so you can get back to general shenanigans for reading joy.

Erin said...

Awww. :(
Well at least you know what it is and you can take the meds.
I'll be thinking of you and hoping you feel better.

Mr. Apron said...

Dear Lymey McCrevass,

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Does your ominous warning at the end of the post mean that you found the red bullseye betwixt your buttocks?

You'll beat those bloodsucking bastards.

Elise said...

Lilly - just one word for internal issues with dox: PROBIOTICS.

Feel better.

Organic Meatbag said...

I just put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up... I hear that if you put a teaspoon of salsa down your underwear every day, it will keep lyme disease away... this is for a man or woman... this way I know there is ALWAYS a fiesta in my pants too!

carrie said...

See?! This is what you get for being all "I love camping!" "The outdoors is great!" "Lets go hiking!"

Thomas said...

You are right in not knowing can be scarier. Also, remember we are here to help in whatever ways we can.

Lana said...

yay for meds! you should be back to your old bowling-watching self in no time.

and does frontline work on people? i might have to break into my dog's stash.

Emily said...

For real, Carrie. For real.

phairhead said...

Sorry buddy : ( at least yr not bitter. (get it? lime, bitter?)