Sunday, December 27, 2009

On Sump Pumps And Infomercials

Another short one today (TWSS).
We have to leave soon to head to my dad's out in PA, because apparently, this is the christmas that will never end.

Dude, I'm so festivitied out, it's not even funny.

Add to that the flooding. You see, I'm starting to learn that every time I say, "wow, this is the highest the water has ever been"....next time, it's higher.

So today, I will not be saying that this most recent flood was the highest it's even been (even though it most certainly is). I will only say that the basement is flooded despite a fully functioning sump pump (well, one of them, at least), and leave it at that.

Lesson learned.

Last night, Brian and I spent our time desperately trying to prevent our sump pump from frying out by running an industrial pump for 5 minute intervals every 20 minutes or so.

Good times, good times.

And while I'm super impressed that our ultra-expensive new sump pump with bells and whistles is still going strong despite running practically non-stop for the last 24 hours, I'm still kind of lamenting the fact that staying awake, in shifts, throughout the night was not enough to keep our basement floor from getting completely saturated.

And unfortunately, having taken the 2:00 to 5:00 am shift early this morning, I've also developed a compulsive need for the Slap Chop.


So there you have it. Lessons learned in the wake of a flood that was NOT the highest we've ever seen (see that? I just went all reverse-psychology on your ass). When it comes to sump pumps, you get what you pay for, and when you're up all night on support-pump duty, it's best to avoid infomercials.

5 comments:

phairhead said...

that infomercial is even better in Spanish!

Just A Normal Mom said...

Oh I'm glad I haven't had any infomercial nights lately!
***Ally

Ed said...

I have painful memories of sump pumps.

Wait, that sounded all wrong.

adrienzgirl said...

Oh the new infomercial guy is just creepy. I miss Billy Mays!

Vince Armstrong said...

Sump pumps is very important in our basements. We should take care of it and constantly check it to prevent flooding. :)