Friday, December 18, 2009

A Viking Funeral For 2

Me: Hey Bluefish, how ya feeling today?
BF: …..
Me: Bluefish? You okay?
Bf:….
Me: *tap tap
BF: ….

********
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Bluefish has officially gone to that big aquarium in the sky. I know that a lot of people though he died earlier this week when I posted my conversation with him (although, I don’t know how I’d have a conversation with a dead fish) (then again, I guess it’s pretty remarkable that I have conversations with fish, in general).

Poor Bluefish.

So of course, I had to contact his grandmother (via text) and break the news to her.

Me: RIP Bluefish
Mom: OMG! (how can you tell?)
Me: what do you mean how can I tell? He’s lying at the bottom of the tank and not moving when I tap on the tank.
Mom: So sad! Will you have a service?
Me: We’re thinking more like a Viking funeral
Mom: Oooh! So cool! Of course the fireman would think of that
Me: No, his barbarian wife thought of that
Mom: You 2 go so well together!


Awww, isn’t that cute?

And at this point, I'd like to recall another story that comes to mind. The year is 2004 and I am an intern in the office where my mother works. In that office, we all had these cool combination fishtank/plant arrangements on our desks, complete with our own individual beta fish. Of course, most of the fish died earlier that year, but mom's held out longer than the others.

Did I mention that she named him Ivan Analitch?
Think about it.

At any rate, eventually, he passed away. So of course, my mother sent around an email (it was a small office full of pretty cool people) saying that Ivan had passed away and we would be gathering around the pond out back to send him off at lunch.

Did I also mention that we had hired, like six new people THAT VERY DAY?

So of course the new people, thinking that Ivan is some sort of...well...person....are confused.

Eventually, one of them came up to my mother and wanted to know the address of the family so she could send a condolence card. My mother was like, "WHOSE family?" And the woman was like, "Ivan's. Who is he, by the way?"

Apparently, the new people had been talking and had decided that Ivan was the janitor or something, and that his last wish had been to be sunk in the corporate pond out back.

Of course we all had a good laugh over it, and to this day, every time I see a beta fish, I think of good old Ivan.


****

In other news, today is my last day at work. As of 12:30 this afternoon, I will be a free (read: unemployed) woman.

Holy crap!

So tonight, we will be saying goodbye to both Bluefish and “Corporate Lily” in the ways of our ancestors. Namely, drinking beer and setting things on fire before shoving them out to sea.

I think Ivan would be approve.

Happy Weekend, everybody!

8 comments:

Travis said...

If I could, I'd like to write a few words, and have them read at the ceremony.

I didn't know Mr. Bluefish in the sense that I ever saw him. However, it was with great amusement that I read the conversations between him and his owner, the one and only Lily. He brightened my day when I saw that he'd spoken with Lily, and that she'd blogged about it. His legacy will carry on, and I'm sure that he will be missed by more than just myself. And now, Mr. Bluefish, I say this with the saddest of hearts, and the deepest darkness of my soul, may you rest in peace. There'll be no more floaty issues in that great big tank in the sky. Also no dead crickets. Amen.

Elise said...

I love the funeral story! I wonder if those new employees thought they'd been hired at Addams Family, Inc.

Mr. Apron said...

Ivan Analitch.

Oh, my God. Classic.

Goodbye, Bluefish. It's going to get a lot warmer for you before it gets better.

In fact, nevermind. It won't get better.

Lily-- Mazel Tov on your last day, hopefully ever, in a cube or partition wall or whatever the fuck torture device they've currently got you in.

Go forth and be free, and, in the name of the dearly-departed and the enjoyably-named Ivan Analitch, let us say, "Amen."

anya said...

RIP Bluefish and RIP corporate Lily!!

Ps. I don't get it. Oh wait...oh...gross!

Ed said...

1st, you Mom is a seriously kickass cool bitch.

2nd, May Bluefish RIP. He's sleeping with the fishes now.

June said...

So sorry Bluefish passed.

Oh but I have to tell you, Ivan Analitch - LMAO!!

Congrats on the unemployment - you may begin living!

adrienzgirl said...

Lily I am so glad it's like mother like daughter in your family! My mother would gasp in horror....

BLUEFISH is gone, but certainly not forgotten...just like good old anal itch, that just sorta sticks with ya, you know?

Welcome to the land of milk and honey, aka unemployment. The couch and jammies? FUCKING FABULOUS

Kim said...

I hope you had a good time at your Viking funeral!