Monday, April 13, 2009

On Easter and Alzheimer's Disease


Well, Easter has come and gone and while others may be enjoying their extended holiday weekend, I am unhappily back in cubicle-land, lamenting the fact that I’m working but appreciative of the fact that traffic was way lighter than usual and my boss is out of the office. Hey, the glass is half full, right? RIGHT?!?

I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine went pretty well, other than for a few small bumps in the road. I decided to do the adult thing and host brunch at my house this year, which made me feel all warm and fuzzy (and stressed) inside to take some of the burden off of my mom. Easter also got a big thumbs up when my sister decided that she needed a break from being a graduate student and drove down in time to enjoy the festivities. Hooray!

Sunday was great because:
- I woke up to an Easter egg hunt that was pre-orchestrated by Brian before he left for work that morning
- At the end of the Easter egg hunt was an Easter basket filled with Tastycakes. TASTYCAKES!!!!
- There was a puppy in the house
- Brunch was served on time, and nobody died of food poisoning
- I managed to cook a quiche that was half with cheese, half without cheese for my grandmother who hates cheese (if you’ve cooked a quiche before, you know that’s no easy feat)
- I didn’t set the house on fire
- We had 3 different types of coffee creamer

Sunday was not so great because:
- Skittles messed up the Easter egg hunt by "relocating" one of the clues. We still haven't found it
- Grandma’s half of the quiche was still filled with mushrooms…which she is apparently allergic to
- There was a muffin incident *see below
- Brian wasn’t there because he had to work
- I received wwaayyy too many sugary, fattening things that directly counteract any efforts at the gym

Apparently, I’m also losing my mind because:
- I forgot to put eggs in the first batch of muffins and had to throw them out. Did I mention that they were from a box mix? How do you mess up a box mix?
- I forgot to coat the pan with non-stick spray when I made the second batch of muffins, so they lost their bottoms when I tried to get them up.
- All in all, three batches of muffins were made, and only one turned out okay
- I put the filter directly into the coffee pot, minus the basket when I made coffee for everyone. My sister later found the clean basket in the dishwasher and said, “Wasn’t this supposed to be in the coffee pot?” Whoops. What a mess!

You guys, seriously, I think I have Alzheimer’s. I mean, lookit the signs and symptoms of Alzheimers:
General confusion, disorientation, apathy, irritability, depression, anxiety, problems with language, math, abstract thinking, and judgment, personality changes with strange quirks or inappropriate behaviors, wandering, and hiding objects.

Did somebody say inappropriate behaviors?!? Also, last month, I put a smoke detector in the refrigerator. I'm not even kidding

Mom says that a bad memory runs in her side of the family. Brian says I’m just adjusting to going back to work, and my brain hasn’t quite caught up. I say…well…let’s just say that I’m concerned.

Wait...what was I talking about?

1 comment:

anya said...

Thanks for the laugh. With you, not at you - honest. I've been there!