Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Welcome Home Jones

Q: What is distracting me from work this afternoon?
A: Many things, but primarily, this little guy…



No, he’s not a goat. I know he kind of looks like a goat, but he’s a puppy. An adorable, 4-month old puppy who has mastered the “please take me home and I’ll be your best friend forever” look. Seriously, he has it down to a science. I didn’t stand a chance.

I have to admit, when I saw him tucked away in his cage at the animal shelter, I kind of wrote him off as “goofy looking.” Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure I actually said “he’s too goofy looking” to Brian when we walked by him. But we (and by we I mostly mean Brian and my sister, who came along for the ride) kept coming back to him, and then he picked up a tennis ball to play with and it was really sort of cute, so we asked to take him out of the cage to interact a little more and BOOM. Faster than you can say “adorable, heart-melting brown eyes,” I was done. Finished. Finito. He had me wrapped around his little paw. Of course, it didn’t help when he stood up on his hind legs and gave me wonderful, gentle puppy kisses on my face. God, I’m such a sucker for puppies. They’ll be my downfall, just you wait.

So, providing he gets along with Jericho when we introduce them after work (and I’d bet a significant amount of money that they will get along famously), we’ll be bringing that goofy looking goat/pup thing home. EEEEEE!

I’m thinking it’ll be a good fit. Unlike SOME PUPPIES that had until recently lived in our house, this one doesn’t seem the type to want to spend the majority of his day running at full speed around the house crashing into walls and putting everything in sight into his mouth. Which means he’ll probably get along well in a household with a crotchety (acting) dog and an insouciant feline.

My coworker says that shelter pets pick you, and not the other way around. I couldn’t agree more.

We just need to do something about his name. The shelter named him Jones, and I’m not feeling that. Jones is a name for a persnickety butler with a handle-bar moustache and a British accent, not a lil’ puppers who just needs somebody to love him. Brian wants to name him Goat (for obvious reason), but that’s just mean - although I DO suspect it’ll end up being an often-used nickname. C’mon people, I need help here. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Elle said...

OMG, he's sooo cute!

Jamie said...

Lord Goatly of Medfordham. Done and done. :)

anya said...

It has to be Goat! He is so cute....